Fixed some problems with the blog

Ever since I performed an in-place upgrade from Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition to Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition on the server hosting this blog, I have been having problems when adding or edition content as my regular user. I would, for instance, try to create a new post or edit an existing one, the server would then return a white page with the words 403 FORBIDDEN. That was it. I tried Googling this error and installing some WSS hotfixes, but nothing resolved the problem. If I logged on as an administrator I could update and add content fine.
This situation finally became untenable so I decided to redo the WSS install. I first made a backup of the content database containing all the content from the sites. I then uninstalled WSS and the WSS language pack. Removed the Web Server Role. Removed the .NET Framework, Windows Internal Database, SMTP Server and Remote Administation Tools features. And finally, deleted the inetpub directory.
I reinstalled all the above software, roles and features and restored the content database. I had to redo all the configuration because I did not want to restore the configuration database. But luckily that was not too much work.
Now the error seems to be resolved, so you can look forward to a few more postings in the future.
Here are a few of the postings I have planned:
  • Using Wireshark network analyzer to decipher SSL traffic.
  • Configuring ISA Server 2006 to publish Outlook Anywhere using Kerberos Constrained Delegation. (Judging by the amount of spam comments on the first post on this topic, this should be popular.)
  • A few more I can’t remember right now

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.