- Open a command prompt
If you are on an OS with User Account Control enabled, you need to run the command prompt as an Administrator.
- Type the following:
- In the same command prompt window, type:
- Device Manager opens.
- Select View, Show Hidden Devices
- Expand the various categories to display orphaned devices. They will be grayed out:
- Right-click and select Uninstall to remove the device completely from the system.
- A reboot may be necessary after your have removed the devices. Sometimes Device Manager will inform you of this, sometimes not.
I find this extremely useful on virtual machines that have moved from one virtualization platform to another. In this situation old Network Interface Cards (NICs) can sometimes be problematic.